Prepare Wearable Devices
It is recommended that you technically prepare your Garmin devices before deploying them to your participants. The technical preparation should consist of the following steps:
Upgrade Firmware of Garmin Device
Garmin devices are frequently shipped with an old firmware version which will cause a lot of troubles such as pairing issues or wrong data collections. It is most important to update all devices to the latest firmware after unboxing.
To upgrade the Garmin device to the latest firmware, follow these steps:
- download and install the Garmin Updater tool on your computer. Do not get confused that the website is in German. The tool will be in English.
- connect your Garmin device via USB cable to your computer.
- Garmin device should appear in the Garmin Updater tool.
- download firmware, if available.
- unplug Garmin device from USB cable.
- confirm software installation on Garmin device.
If Garmin device is not recognized by your computer or the Garmin Updater tool, try the following:
– set Garmin device to USB mode (see device settings)
– try an alternative computer
If this does not work and Garmin device is still not recognized, conduct the following steps:
Conduct Factory Reset
If Garmin device was used before, you should factory reset it prior using it with Fitrockr. Factory reset option is generally found in the system settings on the Garmin device.
When handing out Garmin devices to participants you may want to think about identifying the devices if they should ever get mixed up.
This article provides valuable insights in identifying Garmin devices: